Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Twenty-two years of cartoons, but a 50-year relationship

This year marks my 22nd year celebrating Downriver communities, people and issues with my editorial cartoons in The News-Herald. Twenty-two years is a long time, but our relationship goes back much longer than that. Thirty years longer, to be exact.

I grew up down river back when it was just that – two words, lower case – and meant, to many people who didn’t live here simply, “that area south of Detroit before you get to Monroe …”

I lived in Riverview (a village when I moved in), on Hinton and I learned my most important life lessons and made the best friends I ever had in that neighborhood and at St. Cyprian School. I got my haircuts at Hubert’s Barber Shop and learned to ride my two-wheeler one memorable weekend in the empty parking lot of People’s Bank.

I saw my favorite movies at the Fort George Drive-In and at the Wyandotte Theater (before there was even an “Annex”). I rode midway rides at the local amusement park at a time when places like Bob-Lo Island and Edgewater Park might as well have been Disney Land, because they all seemed equally distant.

I played “army” at Memorial Park and I made many braided key chains at the activity center (which looked very much like a garage) at Ray St. Park. I collected empty two-cent pop bottles and cashed them in for penny candy at Ed’s Market or at Pat’s Stone Front Market, depending upon which side of town my buddies and I were “working.”

And my best memories are of those buddies – of Mark and Johnny, Joe, Fred and Ronald, David, Richard, Greg, Larry, Kurt and Neven; and of the girls I pretended not to like, too – Carla, Diane, Karen, Philomene and Suzy.

Life and career led me away from Downriver – but not far. My kids have been to St. Cyprian Church, they’ve played at Memorial Park, they’ve had frozen custard at the Bob-Jo and I drag them annually to go Cruisin’ Downriver.

Downriver was, is and always will be, my home, even though my address isn’t on Hinton anymore. Now it’s in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment